Thursday, June 11, 2009

Taking Responsibility for Your Own Actions

re-spon-si-ble

Definition: answerable or accountable, as for something within one's power, control, or management

What do you think of when you contemplate the word responsible? I want you to be honest with yourself here. Do you secretly wish you weren't responsible for as much as you are? Are you trying to get out of responsibilities because they're just "too much"? Have you been unrealistic about how much you can commit to and still uphold your responsibilities? Do you find yourself blaming others for things that don't go your way?

I believe for entrepreneurs, responsibility can be a very loaded term. Let's face it, we all want to feel responsible for our successes when they occur, but it's no fun taking responsibility for your failures, too. But, alas, this is part of the conscious entrepreneur's journey; being awake and aware to both sides of the coin when it comes to responsibility.

The truth is responsibility isn't a very "hot" or "sexy" topic. Responsibility brings you face to face with the more challenging aspects of being an entrepreneur. I learned this the hard way by having gone through a few failures in my past, both with my Los Angeles based yoga studio and my Network for Empowering Women Entrepreneurs. Both of these businesses had a certain level of success, but not enough to be sustainable over the long run and I had to shut them down. It was painful to look at the truth that I was responsible for what happened with those businesses.

Granted, if I had them both to do over again today, I would change many things and I see exactly how I'd set those businesses up for long-term success. But, I have no intention of starting these business over again at this point, but I do feel I can share some thoughts that may help you feel fantastic about being responsible for your own success.

Here are three key considerations for loving your responsibilities... and owning them fully:

Don't Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

This is one of the most pressing issues I see with entrepreneurs. It's so easy for us to get excited about many, many things. Often entrepreneurs will bite off more than they can chew. The reason many business owners do this is because they don't realize how much effort will go into a particular project. They make their timelines too short, their goals too aggressive and then get overwhelmed and discouraged when a project takes a long time and doesn't reach it's goals.

If you read my article last week, you noticed that I'm taking my own advice into consideration and releasing a few projects that I just don't have the time, or energy to do right now. I had bitten off more than I could chew. The important thing here is to try not do to this in the first place, but if you do you've got to take steps to recognize you've committed to too much, and make some adjustments so you feel you don't have too much on your plate.

Hear What People Are Saying To You

Another mistake entrepreneurs make is a totally unconscious response of not hearing what people are telling you. This is easy to do when you're excited about something and you want to live in the "honeymoon" of your idea. This is an intoxicating state of bliss, and it's challenging to get grounded into some of the input you're getting on your project.

This happened to me with my women's networking group. I kept hearing from the women at the meetings that it was something very special, and I better prepare myself for rapid growth. I didn't listen. I didn't want to complicate things. I didn't want the responsibility of running yet another business when the one I already had was struggling. So, I embarked on a "stop gap" approach to that business, rather than hearing what everyone told me in the beginning. Had I only "heard" what they said, I'm sure that business would be thriving today. So, if you notice you're doing this in your business... letting important input go in one ear and out the other like you never even heard it... listen up! This is the Universe speaking to you through the people you've placed in your life. It's worth paying full attention to what they're saying, because their input may be guiding you toward taking on your responsibility with a lot more ease, grace and fun!

Notice if You're Placing Blame on Others

This one is a big tell-tale sign that you don't want to take responsibility for your own success. This one isn't particularly fun to look at, but it is extraordinarily valuable to do this self-evaluation. Simply notice... is there something in your business or your life that isn't working right now. Identify what that is, and see if you are placing blame on someone else for the situation you are in.

Believe me, I understand that sometimes things happen to you, but even then, how you respond (versus react) is your responsibility. How you learn from a situation and use it to discover more about yourself and your relationship to responsibility can make a huge impact on your success. Everything that occurs in your business is a learning oppor^tunity... remember every single thing that happens is happening for one purpose and one purpose only; because the Universe is conspiring for your highest and best at all times. Even those situations where you want to blame; chances are those are the places you have the greatest gifts waiting for you.

When you take these three concepts into consideration in your business, you'll find it much easier be fully engaged and happy in your commitments. You'll also feel confident that you can be (and WANT to be) responsible for your own success. This is one of the most exciting aspects of being a conscious entrepreneur; there's nobody that can create your success, but you. Yes, of course, you have coaches, consultants and mentors to help you along the way, but ultimately your success is up to you.

© 2009 Christine Kloser

Would you like to use this article? You may as long as you include the following information along with the article: Christine Kloser, author of The Freedom Formula, helps entrepreneurs put soul in their business and money in the bank. If you want to thrive in your purpose-driven, profitable business (while enjoying a soul-satisfying life), send for my special report, How to Avoid the 3 Massive Mistakes Made by Most Conscious Entrepreneurs and my audio, 7 Strategies Entrepreneurial Authors Need to Know... Before Writing a Word, both of which you get (at no charge) when you request my Conscious Business Success Kit at www.LoveYourLife.com.

No comments: