Monday, January 25, 2010

I Surrender!

By Christine Kloser

Have you ever felt like you’ve been WILLING your way forward in your business, or your life? Like you’ve been pushing a boulder up hill thinking that if you just push harder, just “did” more, just handled one more thing that suddenly the boulder would move?

If you’re nodding your head up and down right now, you’re not alone. I have spent years of my career “working hard”, sacrificing myself, thinking I had to keep “doing” more… worrying if I was moving fast enough, or falling behind. I was trying to move forward with ease and grace while simultaneously having both of my hands firmly placed on a boulder that I thought I had to push up hill.

Pushing a boulder up hill doesn’t work. In the short run, you might feel like you’re making progress because you moved an inch… but why would you keep pushing for an inch and thinking that was some great progress? You deserve much more than that!

It’s time to surrender the boulder, to completely and totally let it go… so you can breathe, relax, open, trust and allow the flow of grace to guide you. So, perhaps you’re asking yourself how you can let go of the boulder without getting crushed?

The answer is simple, but not necessarily easy. First, you must get clear on what the boulder really is that you’re truly pushing up the hill. Often times what you THINK you’re working on isn’t REALLY what you’re working on at a deeper level.

For instance, the entrepreneur who thinks the boulder is about a particular project they’re wanting to launch, may discover if they look deep enough that the boulder isn’t about the project, rather it’s about them thinking they “have to do more” in order to feel worthy.

Or, the entrepreneur who works to model other successful businesses they see out there, may discover that the boulder they’re pushing is really that they don’t feel like who they are is enough, so they try to mold themselves around what other people are doing.

This approach to business can never work. Many entrepreneurs I talk to feel like there is some boulder they are trying to push uphill… but sadly there’s not a lot of help being offered to help them look at what the boulder really is. Rather, much of the help they get is trying to help them move the boulder in a new or different way. But, hello! The boulder is still there… and just because it can move another inch because of some new technique or strategy doesn’t mean the boulder is gone.

What I encourage you to do is to look at the boulders in your business. Where are you working hard and not getting the results you want? What do you keep trying to do that just isn’t coming to fruition? What things keep happening in your business (or your life) over and over again that you do not like? These are all boulders.

Allow yourself to surrender your hold on the boulder and begin to ask yourself what the boulder is really about… and not at a surface level, but deep inside of yourself. What are you really trying to do? Prove yourself, gain attention, feel like enough, feel worthy/deserving, keep up with the “Jones’.” What is it that you are really trying to do when you push against that boulder? This is the only question that matters, and if what you’re doing isn’t serving you at the highest level, then surrender the boulder, and allow yourself to see everything that’s underneath it.

Taking this courageous step will help you discover what you need to learn about yourself so you can free yourself from ever feeling the need to push a boulder uphill again.

This is what I’ve been doing, and continue to do in my own business. And, I can tell you from experience that surrendering the boulders and going deep within myself to see what the boulders are really about has been the most freeing thing I’ve ever done for my business, and more importantly… my SELF! I encourage you to do the same!

No comments: